I had my bunionectomy done this Wednesday, so I am two days post-op. I was a bit nervous going in, for sure. I haven’t had surgery since the last bunionectomy 20 years ago!!
I had nothing to fear though. The nurses took great care of me and I was pleasantly passed out the entire time. I joked it was my first nap in years! 😉
My recovery has been going pretty well. I have to mostly stay off my foot and keep it elevated because it is very swollen and still very tender. I’ve been alternating tylenol, ibuprofen, and oxycodone. I seriously don’t get how people can abuse that stuff. I accidentally took it with just coffee the first day and got so sick. It helps with the pain but makes my head feel fuzzy, like taking benadryl. Nothing really wonderful about it.
I went back today to get my dressings changed and was able to talk my surgeon. He said when he opened the joint it was full of red fluid, which is unusual. I want to research this more but he said it’s a sign of inflammation. It seems to support my theory that my body has been reacting to the metal screws that were in there for so long.
I am really (!!!!) hopeful to see some improvements in my health. For years I’ve had so many issues and struggles. I’m not sure what to expect, but I’ll blog as I (hopefully!) see improvements.
My doctor was able to fix the problem by drilling two holes through that big toe joint and tightening things up with my own ligaments and some dissolvable sitches. Oh and shaving down the bone. Yuck! Sorry! Basically, it’s “ghetto-rigged”. Lol The great thing is that the bunion will be gone and there will be no metal in there.
Coincidentally, I keep running across stories of people becoming ill with “Breast Implant Sickness” or from other foreign implants in their body. It makes me wonder how many people are ill with a variety of symptoms, no real diagnosis, poor quality of life; and no idea that their implants or dental work or knee replacement is the source of all their problems.